Sunday, April 29, 2012

Austin: A Paradise Built to My Specifications








All of these pictures come from a half-mile stretch of my daily drive down South First to campus. If I want to buy tacos on my way to or from work, I have at least twenty options--all right on my route, with varying specialties and price levels.  Interior Mexican, unabashed Tex-Mex, hipster taco trucks, you name it.  And I would have the same number of choices if I were to drive down South Congress or South Lamar.  

I don't take this bounty for granted: I fell in love with Mexican food as a kid living in Charleston where, at the time, there were two (2!) Mexican-style restaurants in the area.  When we moved to Fort Worth, I remember pulling out the Star-Telegram's weekly Dining section and marveling at the pages and pages of listings and reviews under the heading "Mexican."  But even Fort Worth can't compare to this.  This is amazing.


No comments:

Post a Comment